Introduction

WELCOME! I've been cycling through the Southeast Valleys of Wales since 2010 and I can't say (or show) enough about the place. I just love it. So if you've got the interest and would like to spend some time... sit back and let me show you some of the fabulous places I've discovered.

Monday, 20 February 2017

DAY TOUR 
Post-Ride Exultations



It was a questionable decision. I would need lights for both leaving and upon my return. I could spend the entire day in the rain. Traffic may be an issue. I had only been on the planned route once before. But the itch was not going away. The desire had been pestering me for weeks. I was going.

All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.
- Martin Buber


And so I set out at 7:30 on Saturday morning. The fog was thick... the sky dark. I was wet from a heavy mist by the time I started up the Sirhowy Valley. I had yet over 70 miles and 10 hours on my journey. I was excited and worried both and this is what I live for.


Now I'm not riding some carbon fibre "toy" bike. I haven't fancy disc brakes or tricky STi shifters... don't even get me started on electronics and hydraulic shit. I ride a REAL bicycle. It's steel with rim brakes and bar-end shifters. The same setup the bike Gods created for intelligent cyclists way back before most of the "Johnny-come-lately's" ever thought about internally routed cabling. There. I said it.

So if you're still reading this, good for you. You get it. I carry a butt-load of shit in my Carradice bag too. I've everything from spare spokes, chain links, assorted nuts and bolts, to duck tape, zip ties, and shoestrings even. If you ask why... you don't get it.


I can't make an emergency backup phone call; "come pick me up, my bike broke down". When my shit goes down, I'm on my own. I gotta fix it. And I like it that way. Ain't nuthin' more satisfyin' than fixin' yer bike after it's broke down while on the road. Cuz, it's gonna break. It's always just a matter of time. So ya gotta be prepared, that's what I say. Don't know how to how to patch a puncture? Stay home.


So enough of my ranting diatribe... this is about the adventure. And what a grand adventure I had. I could have never expected the weather to have given me such drama... but then, that's what it does. You just gotta get out there to really appreciate it. With that I'll leave you to hop over to the gallery section of my blog to view the photos I took while out:




(and just cuz' I never said I wasn't a hypocrite... my average speed was 10.3 mph!)



I hope you enjoy. Thanks for stopping by...

cheers! - muse