Introduction

Welcome friends. This humble blog is about the simple observations I discover whilst cycling through lovely Wales.
I hope to offer you dear reader, cheerful reflections upon the days and miles I pedal, along with encouragement to get out and explore by bicycle yourself! Perhaps too, if I attempt a bit of amusing anecdotes along the way, I may invoke your readership as well. Thanks for stopping by... cheers, muse

Monday, 10 October 2016

TOURING 
Spring Break 2016


Going backwards is the new forward. Looking ahead means holding up the past and these rose-coloured glasses seem golden.

I got nuthin' but memories of 2016. So much to keep up with; my head is bustin'. I'll get to March and April soon enough, but for now I'm gonna start with May. And what a blow-out! The weather was fabulous. I was in great shape and felt free from my 55 for 55 Event. And so I hit the road... 15 days for 1,100 miles, averaging almost 75 miles per ride!

On May 5th I set off on what has become one of my favourite long-distance rides. I love the Gospel Pass, but I'll put the views over Llangynidr up against any in Wales.

Looking back toward Beauford...


Climbing up Llangynidr Commons...


Sometimes too, ya gotta get off yer bike and walk around... climb the nearby hills.









But the road beckons... stopping is something you can do next time. For now... it's just cruising down the mountain, soaking in the views, burning images to the back of your eyes.









And then, 10 miles later; you're down. It's an incredible ride. (Tim... I'm talkin' to you.) It's a must for everyone. But it's only a short section of the overall ride. From here I scooted down sleepy little B4558 to Crickhowell. The traffic is fairly light, especially on weekends, but you can easily get on the tow-path for the Monmouth & Brecon Canal - which the road follows closely.







Leaving Crickhowell there are few hills to climb... as well as descend (look closely...). Some are rather extreme, but the road soon becomes rolling and the ride around Sugarloaf is stunning. Oh did I not mention it? Well, this ride circles around three sides of Sugarloaf... Awesome!













And that's about it for photos... this time! The remainder of the ride from above Abergavenny, through Usk, Newport, and home; I've covered before. So it's pretty straight-forward. You can see the full route in the map below.




I hope to do better over the winter with writing in this doggone blog. I've so much to catch up with... and it takes me almost a day to make one entry! So check back. I'll try to have something up again soon. Thanks for taking the time to stop by... I hope you've enjoyed your visit.

cheers!, cm

Ads Inside Post