Introduction

Welcome friends. This humble blog is about the simple observations I discover whilst cycling through lovely Wales.
I hope to offer you dear reader, cheerful reflections upon the days and miles I pedal, along with encouragement to get out and explore by bicycle yourself! Perhaps too, if I attempt a bit of amusing anecdotes along the way, I may invoke your readership as well. Thanks for stopping by... cheers, muse

Thursday, 3 March 2016

55 FOR 55 EVENT 
Day 02 - Brutal


Very cold. very wet. High, gusty winds. When I left the house it started snowing.



Photo of the Day - 02 March, 2016

On the ridge above Treowen

Anyone in Wales will tell you that during this time of year you can get four seasons in a day. Yesterday was that day. I came down the mountain into Newbridge and the snow changed to sleet. I then rode in heavy sleet for the next 16 miles to Usk. It was hard work my friends. My beard provided little protection from the sting of pelting ice.
Ride Report
Date: March 02, 2016
Distance: 55.9 miles
Elevation: + 2932 / - 2933 ft
Ride Time: 05:421:43
Weather: Snow, sleet, high wind, dragons
Temperature: 1℃ / 33℉
If you look closely at the photograph above, just right of center you can make out the mountain pass at Swffryd. I had a steady head wind getting up that mountain and then had to pedal continuously down the other side just to keep balance. Hard, hard ride.

I barely remember getting through Pontypool. I was exhausted. The road past Little Mill is generally easy going and I can sail along at 18-20 mph... not yesterday. I worked my best at 10 mph. I pulled into Usk needing a break and a coffee. Then oddly enough as I sat there recuperating... the sun came out. Freaky.

However, I was quick to discover heading out of town that despite the lovely sunshine, the wind had picked up significantly. It was all I could do at time to stay on my bike. (I saw later that evening the gusts were reported at over 70 mph.) The ride to Caerleon was not fun.

As I sat eating my lunch along the waterfront in Newbridge, the wind picked up my bike helmet and blew it like a wheel, sailing away toward the river! Expletives, Expletives!

I checked in with Jo at Fanny's Rest Stop. I pedalled on. I fought the traffic past Tredegar House. I pedalled on. I climbed up through Bassaleg, Rogerstone, and Risca. I pedalled on. I struggled down the High Street in Crosskeys, through Waunfawr Parc, and up to Sirhowy Parc. I pedalled on.

The wind never let up. I was inventing new words to describe my frustration. The trees slashed at me as I cursed the heavens. Children were running wildly down the streets laughing with maddness... I was late on my schedule. Cars were piling up at junctions and buses were were careening in and out of traffic.

Photo of the day runner-up...

The pavement began pulling at the spokes of my bicycle. Greek gods played darts upon my thighs. Ancient mythical creatures loomed with evil intent at every bend in the road.

And somehow I made it home. Safe, secure, and with all my belongings. Perhaps my faculties were a tad diminished... but I was home. Time to get ready for Thursday.
Post a Comment

Ads Inside Post