Introduction

Welcome friends. This humble blog is about the simple observations I discover whilst cycling through lovely Wales.
I hope to offer you dear reader, cheerful reflections upon the days and miles I pedal, along with encouragement to get out and explore by bicycle yourself! Perhaps too, if I attempt a bit of amusing anecdotes along the way, I may invoke your readership as well. Thanks for stopping by... cheers, muse

Monday, 25 November 2013

5astest 5ifty

It's not often that I concern myself with how fast I ride, but recently I saw the times needed for sanctioned audux rides and although I haven't ridden a full century this year, I have ridden over 50 miles on many occasions. So I went back and reviewed my 2013 records and was rather surprised to see that I hadn't yet met the time and speed required for a half-century. Kinda shocking actually.

I don't think of myself as terribly slow, but I do ride at a fairly comfortable pace. Also of note; I always include my breaks and lunch stops within my average speed. So the hour lunches and assorted snack breaks pulls my average(s) way down, of course.

I plotted a course yesterday that I was interested in riding and low & behold... it was exactly 50 miles! So the challenge was on. For a half-century (50 miles) I would need to finish within six hours. I left at 9:15 this morning hoping to be home by 3:00 pm.



So... I was home by 2:30 pm! I stopped briefly in Usk and Fourteen Locks. My overall time was 5 hours, 15 minutes; with a moving time of 4 hours, 15 minutes. That's an average speed of 11.8 mph and honestly I was rather surprised and quite chuffed. Plus too, I climbed over 3,300 feet. And here it is in bold...

50 miles; 4 hrs, 15 minutes; 11.8 avg. speed; 3,323 elevation gain


Next spring when the days get a bit longer I'll give the century a go.

Post a Comment

Ads Inside Post