Introduction

WELCOME! I've been cycling through the Southeast Valleys of Wales since 2010 and I can't say (or show) enough about the place. I just love it. So if you've got the interest and would like to spend some time... sit back and let me show you some of the fabulous places I've discovered.

Wednesday, 26 June 2013

A Quiet Beginning...

RIDING THE GOSPEL PASS & DEVIL'S STAIRCASE pt.1

2013 has provided Wales with the wettest Spring in 50 years. Summer started off looking a little better, but it was hit and miss with one or two days of sunshine quickly followed by a couple more of rain... urgh. I was feeling pretty down about it actually. And of course hearing reports about the wonderful, warm & sunny weather the US was experiencing only made me feel worse... double-urgh.


But they say "good things come to those who wait" and when Mother Nature finally decides to smile on Wales... it is nothing short of spectacular. So began our trip to Hay-on-Wye and climbing the Gospel Pass.


I left Oakdale early Wednesday for Pontypool where I joined the Monmouth & Brecon Canal (NCN Route 49) and headed north to Abergavenny where I was to meet Tim John.


This little toll house marks the entrance to the canal at Pontypool.

        

The canal path first looks like this... and this.


I was alone except for the ducks and moorhens and other unseen little birds chirping away in the trees - all of whom seemed to be enjoying the fine morning.

















It was quiet...


and peaceful...


and rather majestic - like a John Constable painting. 







Waiting for Tim at the train station in Abergavenny...

Thus began the first stage of Day 1 on our trip over the Gospel Pass. I met Tim at the train station in Abergavenny at noon. It was sunny and warm (18c/64f).

A fabulous morning.

Stay tuned... there's more to read about our adventure.